Sarah's Thoughts

Friday, March 31, 2006

Poisson d'Avril!!

Every year I play the same April Fool's joke on a different person, often more than one. I cook a lot and make a lot of things from scratch. I am also very trustworthy, except on April 1st, so I can easily dupe people into eating something truly disgusting. Every year I get people to eat chocolate covered play-dough.



I begin with my four ingredients: flour, salt, water and chocolate.


I mix 1 part salt, 2 parts flour, and 1 part water to form a dough.


I roll the dough into a snake and cut it into small pieces which are then rolled into balls


I bake the balls on low heat to make the outsides dried out.


Then I cover them in chocolate.

They look pretty tasty, don't they? They are gross. I know because I ate part of one. Generally I just leave them on the counter in a pretty dish and people take and eat one. The facial expressions of those who try them are great, the best part of my April Fool's day every year.


UPDATE

I've taken to adding even more salt, and this year I mixed the ingredients in a zipper bag, leaving the dough soft enough to pipe out of a hole in the corner of the bag, baking as usual, then dumping the centers into a zipper bag of melted chocolate, shaking to coat, then moving the "treats" into a baggie of powdered sugar, to individually coat each "treat" . They look nice enough to eat.

7 Comments:

  • I never prank people, But this i will do next april fools.

    By Blogger Britt, at 11:40 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • That's so wrong.

    Please have mercy on us poor helpless chocohaulics!

    You'd have fished me in for sure.

    By Blogger Chris Cree, at 9:55 AM, April 01, 2006  

  • You are an evil, evil person. Welcome to the club. Wish I'd thought of that.

    By Blogger Tramp, at 4:05 PM, April 01, 2006  

  • Sarah J, sweetie, you are an evil genius.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM, April 01, 2006  

  • My entire image of you is spoiled. It's about time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 AM, April 02, 2006  

  • Some random thoughts and memories about playdoh and pranks:

    1) I just heard about the new Playdoh scented perfume. Not an April Fool, but maybe should be.

    2) We had an AFS exchange student from the Netherlands who brought us a gift of his nation's most popular sweet...licorice (Dutch Treat? Never mind.) It was alright, so for some odd reason, our daughter,Gretchen, took licorice along when she went to Japan for the summer with AFS. Her Japanese family had quite a different reaction to licorice. "It's black!" "It tastes like.....!" Something didn't translate culturally.

    Anyway, each time their friends came over to meet Gretchen, they would bring out a silver tray loaded with licorice and rave about the "special American treat" that Gretchen had brought. Then they would stifle their laughter as the company attempted to be polite with their first tasting of licorice.

    The Japanese that I have met have a wonderful, but not necessarily, sophisticated sense of humor. They played the same "joke" on me several times daily when I visited,substituting Japanese pickles (yuk) and telling me how much Gretchen loved them!

    Thanks for your blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 PM, May 28, 2006  

  • An option for those lacking your culinary skills:

    We had a guy in the office who ate every snack we would put out. One day I put some kitty kibble in the bowl and set it out. Ken walked up, popped a few pieces in his mouth, hesitated, cocked his head, shrugged and grunted, and took a whole fistful back to his office. For whatever reason, most of the women in the office refused to speak to me for several days because of my "cruelty". Later I walked in on Ken scratching behind his ear with one of his hind feet. Ok, that last part isn't true.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 PM, May 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home