Sarah's Thoughts

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Build her a cake?


After Napoleon Dynamite came out, kids at my sister's high school in California started "building" cakes to ask each other out, thinking that it was just something funny from a movie. Little did they know they were doing something normal, and to be honest, quite unimaginative, in "Mormon Culture." It's been around for ages, this creative-date-asking thing, and cakes are pretty bland in comparison to some other ways I've heard of. The following are things that I have known people to do or (confession time!) I have done myself. Oh! Let's make it a game! Guess which ones I've done!
- The treasure hunt- She put an alarm clock under his bed, set for 3am. Taped to the clock was the first of a set of clues to lead him to a toy dump truck full of hamburger buns and a note that said "I'd like to haul your buns to the dance"
- The cereal one- Written on a box of Honeycombs: "Honeycomb your hair, I'm taking you to the dance!"
-The Half and half- She gave him a carton of half and half attached to a bouquet of balloons. On the carton was written "Half of me wants to go to the dance with you..." and in the balloons were the words "and the other half does too"
-The butter- She sent over four sticks of butter with his name written on them, about 15 minutes apart. Last to be delivered was a loaf of bread with her name baked inside and a note that read "Now that I've buttered you up, will you go to the dance with me?"
-Ice cream- Her name was hidden towards the bottom of a hand-packed half-gallon of 31, and the lid asked if he would go.
-Super corny- Roses hung from the shower, Hershey kisses strewn all over the floor, the note: Now that I've showered you with roses and kissed the ground you've walked on, will you go to the dance with me?
-Flour- Written on the outside of a 25lb bag of flour, "Will you go to the dance with me?" Hidden somewhere inside the bag, her name. That one made quite a mess trying to figure out who it was from!

4 Comments:

  • I love it. These are very clever.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 PM, March 01, 2006  

  • When I was a junior in high school, we had a foreign exchange student, named Liis, who was from Estonia. Quite exotic, when you're in a small town in TN.
    She dressed kinda like a boy, with baggy jeans and sweatshirts, because she wanted to blend in and she thought that's how all Americans dressed. It was, however, hard to disguise the most beautiful, gleaming blonde hair and liquid blue eyes I'd ever seen. My little clique adopted her as one of our own, and she said she truly enjoyed how much fun we were and how vibrant life was in our little world.
    When prom time came, she waited for someone to ask, but the invitation didn't come. Determined to make her American journey as memorable as I could, I gallantly asked her by learning to say, "Your beauty exceeds the sky, please bless me with a dance" in Russian, because I couldn't even begin to try it in Estonian.
    She was thrilled, and so was I. I was afraid she wouldn't have a dress, so I asked her friend Carrie to take her shopping and put it on my card. Carrie laughed, and said, "Oh, I'm pretty sure she has a dress." I didn't press the matter, because Carrie was a girl and acting coy and conspiratorial, which is always dangerous.
    I went to her house on prom night, dressed to the nines and ready to take over the universe. Her exchange-dad answered the door, and said she would be right out.
    ...
    *hushed tone*
    Wow.
    Heh. Turns out in Estonia, she was a competition ballroom dancer. With awards. She failed to mention this to us, because she considered it "geeky."
    She was the most stunning vision I've ever seen. Black ballroom dress, golen hair; no trace of her Americanized affectations. I still get squooshy when I think about it.
    We rocked that prom. Everybody wondered how I managed to end up with the prettiest girl in the room, and jaws dropped when they realized who she was.
    True story. Too bad foreign exchanges eventually go home. I've got great pictures, though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM, March 02, 2006  

  • Sarah, did you know that Jon Heder is a Mormon?

    One might also suspect that Jared and Jerusha Hess (the writers and director) are also Mormon - both are Brigham Young alumni.

    I like this date gift idea. It's sure a lot better than this yucky business I keep hearing about going on in Middle and High Schools!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11:08 AM, March 02, 2006  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 12:03 PM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home