Sarah's Thoughts

Friday, February 10, 2006

The Ritual


I check the clock; good, I have two hours to get ready. I hop in the shower to shampoo my hair and scrub my face. I stand in my robe with a towel on my head trying to decide what to wear. I pick the cutest outfit I can, try every pair of shoes I own with it, and get dressed. Then it's time to blow dry and curl my hair. Then on goes the makeup, no rush now, not like in the mornings. I take my time, relaxed and unhurried. Next it's time for contacts; I check to see I have the essentials in my bag, then put on my coat and shoes. I have 10 minutes extra, so I decide to leave early and walk slowly, to the Testing Center.
This sounds like it should be for getting ready for a date, but it isn't (I haven't had a date in about a year and a half, 17 1/2 months to be exact.) This is my pre-exam ritual; I never do as well on the exams if I skip this routine. When my roommates come home in the afternoon and see me putting more effort into my appearance than is usual, they always ask if I have a test.
This week was the first wave of exams this term. Next week will be midterms. Twice this week I primped for a bubble sheet, and next week I will again.

3 Comments:

  • I think that's why I do better on tests. I feel better about myself, more confident in my abilities. The two hours relaxing and not thinking about the test probably helps too.

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 6:08 PM, February 10, 2006  

  • Ever since I started college, I've dressed up for important tests. Well, dressed up as in shirt and tie and not jeans. It doesn't really do anything for my state of mind, but I like to think that it intimidates the other students and leaves a good impression on the teacher (who will ultimately be grading it).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM, February 12, 2006  

  • As far as I'm concerned, I'm only prepared for a test if I'm bleary-eyed from studying for it all the night before. I drag myself to the test in the most convenient clothes handy (jeans, turtleneck, sweater, usually). Disheveled=prepared in BlogchikWorld.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 AM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home