Sarah's Thoughts

Friday, February 10, 2006

The Ritual


I check the clock; good, I have two hours to get ready. I hop in the shower to shampoo my hair and scrub my face. I stand in my robe with a towel on my head trying to decide what to wear. I pick the cutest outfit I can, try every pair of shoes I own with it, and get dressed. Then it's time to blow dry and curl my hair. Then on goes the makeup, no rush now, not like in the mornings. I take my time, relaxed and unhurried. Next it's time for contacts; I check to see I have the essentials in my bag, then put on my coat and shoes. I have 10 minutes extra, so I decide to leave early and walk slowly, to the Testing Center.
This sounds like it should be for getting ready for a date, but it isn't (I haven't had a date in about a year and a half, 17 1/2 months to be exact.) This is my pre-exam ritual; I never do as well on the exams if I skip this routine. When my roommates come home in the afternoon and see me putting more effort into my appearance than is usual, they always ask if I have a test.
This week was the first wave of exams this term. Next week will be midterms. Twice this week I primped for a bubble sheet, and next week I will again.

4 Comments:

  • I have gone both ways on this. I have made up and dressed up the best I can on any day and I've gone with ponytail, no make-up 'who the hell cares?' thing. I have found that when I feel pretty good about the way I look, the day is just better. My attitude is better and it has nothing to do with dates or men. It's all about looking anyone or anything that comes along in the eye and thinking "hit me with your best shot!"

    It's all about 'me me me!'

    By Blogger Peri, at 5:52 PM, February 10, 2006  

  • I think that's why I do better on tests. I feel better about myself, more confident in my abilities. The two hours relaxing and not thinking about the test probably helps too.

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 6:08 PM, February 10, 2006  

  • Ever since I started college, I've dressed up for important tests. Well, dressed up as in shirt and tie and not jeans. It doesn't really do anything for my state of mind, but I like to think that it intimidates the other students and leaves a good impression on the teacher (who will ultimately be grading it).

    By Anonymous Bismuth, at 9:06 PM, February 12, 2006  

  • As far as I'm concerned, I'm only prepared for a test if I'm bleary-eyed from studying for it all the night before. I drag myself to the test in the most convenient clothes handy (jeans, turtleneck, sweater, usually). Disheveled=prepared in BlogchikWorld.

    By Anonymous Blogchik, at 12:38 AM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home