Sarah's Thoughts

Saturday, February 04, 2006

50 Things About Me


I know everyone is doing these, but I think they are a pretty good way of fitting a lot of personal information in a small place without the pressure of needing to be clever or funny or really profound.

1. I am a 21-year-old student at BYU, which makes me almost an old maid here; I have not quite two years until I really am.
a. BYU joke time—Did you know that if you don’t graduate with both a BA/S and an MRS they refund your tuition?
2. I am LDS
3.
4. I love to read
5. Favorite books include “No Doubt About It” by Sherri Dew, “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen, “Wives and Daughters” by Elizabeth Gaskell, the Harry Potter series, and “Daughter of a King” by Rachel Ann Nunes.
6. I have all of the Harry Potter Books on CD except the fourth
7. I use them to fall asleep when I am worrying about something; they’re a great prelude to dreaming.
8. I really enjoy Oscar Wilde as well.
9. My favorite colors are blue and white, which is convenient here in Cougar Town.
10. The perfume I wear every day is Victoria’s Secrets’ Very Sexy, the original, not the second one.
11. I have never dyed my hair, which people often don’t believe because I’m the only one in my family to keep the blonde after age 12.
12. The one store I grew up with that I wouldn’t mind having here in Provo is Trader Joe’s. Fresh produce and great pre-packaged foods for less than normal grocery store prices.
13. The broccoli at Trader Joe’s is the only store-bought broccoli that I can eat. I grew up on homegrown veggies and broccoli is the most different.
14. I am an avid scrapbooker, when I have the time.
15. I have never been skiing, even though I know one of the US Olympic skiers.
16. I have been sewing since forever and got my first sewing machine when I was seven years old.
17. I learned to sew from both parents.
18. The fact that my dad sews was our family's best kept secret until I let the cat out of the bag at a church girl’s camp in front of more than one hundred women and girls, many knew him and called him to “ask for help” after camp let out. I was telling them about my worst date: the junior prom. When my date arrived my dad was finishing the hems of my dress, but that's a long story, so I'll have to save it for later.
19. I’ve been dealing with depression since I was thirteen years old.
20. In that time I have hit four major low points and am always afraid of finding myself in the fifth.
21. I found in the past year that I also have ADD- attention type (not hyperactive)
22. I spent $120 on prescription co-pays in the month of January, more than normal, but not by much.
23. I have really bad allergies to anything that grows, which is why fall is my favorite season- everything is dying but not too cold yet.
24. I have a dream of decorating my home in a nautical theme, with sailboat artwork and a color palatte of blues (navy to pale), tan, white, and red accents.
25. I am a very girly girl, but not in the shopping/beauty parlor way, I'm more practical than that, but I do wear makeup.
26. The only jewelry I wear is a necklace I got in the seventh grade and small silver hoop earrings.
27. I am the oldest of six kids, the youngest is 9, so there are twelve years between oldest and youngest, but the three after me were born before I turned 5.
28. My favorite comic strip is Pickles. I especially enjoy the “secret jokes” like the pictures on the wall, the magazines Nelson reads and the shirts he wears (CTR!)
29. I’m a recent Mac convert
30. I play the piano and the flute.
31. Yes I was a band-geek, flute section of course.
32. I joined the marching band because they were going to Hawaii my sophomore year, but my parents made me keep doing it for the rest of high school.
33. I’m strictly an amateur musician, not very good at all.
34. I have a wide variety of musical interests. Basically I like something of everything (except rap, which, IMHO isn’t music) and everything of nothing.
35. I have been listening to classical-ish music more than anything else lately- especially William Joseph (piano, album “within” is AMAZING) and Joshua Bell, also amazing.
36. I really like mellow music, it's calming.
37. Probably the strangest musician I listen to is Badly Drawn Boy. My favorite of his albums is the “About a Boy” soundtrack, followed by “Have You Fed the Fish?”
38. I think Utah is a funny place. People here actually think Salt Lake City is a “big city”! HAHAHAHAHA!!
39. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, an area that has like 3 times the population of the entire state of Utah.
40. People go to the symphony in Utah to feel cultured and then clap between the movements!
41. I feel like that one was cheating so I’ll add extras past 50.
42. I would really like to go to a pastry school in France right after I graduate.
43. My favorite person I have known was my Grandpa Max. I feel really blessed to have been able to visit him so often in the last year of his life, and am looking forward to reading his autobiography, which I don't have a copy of here in my posession, but they have one in the library.
44. I really enjoy learning about my family history. I recently found out about an ancestor that experienced severe persecution in Missouri that I have been trying to read more about. I also found out that I have Huguenot ancestry.
45. I really enjoy photography, something I got from G-pa Max, former professional photographer, lithographer, printer and ceramist.
46. I have a special place in my heart for England, especially London and west Yorkshire, a couple of my favorite places ever visited.
47. I liked England way better than I liked Hawaii.
48. I hate dirt to the point that sand is my least favorite thing about the beach and I refused to sit or play in it when I was small.
49. I miss "my baby" more than anyone else from home.
50. I also miss my family’s bird and wish I could kidnap him and bring him here. He’s a blue and white Australian Grey Wing Budgerigar, and he’s gorgeous and behaves better for me than anyone else.
51. I am more likely to marry an accountant than someone with any other profession.
52. I don’t really have any friends here in Provo, and I keep telling myself there are just three months until I move to a new apartment and ward.
53. New- I think this picture is kind of icky and I look blah. It was taken while I was being a wedding photographer at a wedding I helped to plan and organize, so it makes sense that I don't look my best. Even in "bridesmaid attire" one must never look better than the bride, (whom I have lots of pictures of, naturally, and she looks great in all of them!)

7 Comments:

  • Just saying hi. I, too like to comment in Dave Barry's blog.

    You sound like a good and smart person.

    And your first name is one close to my heart!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11:29 PM, February 05, 2006  

  • Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

    I played the flute in school, but didn't join the marching band.

    Oh, and I skied Utah one year. Alta, Snowbird, Park City, Sundance... absolutely gorgeous. Although I remember it being smaller than the others, I think Sundance had the best scenery. No Robert Redford sightings though... :(

    I also spent a few weeks at Dugway a few years later with my job. Went over to SLC one weekend and took the tram up- then hiked down Snowbird, which was almost as much fun as skiing it!

    By Blogger Leetie, at 7:52 AM, February 06, 2006  

  • I am a *huge* Badly Drawn Boy fan. I even got to hang out with him backstage; he's such a cool guy! Except I suggested that people might recognize him because of his hat and he seemed to take offense to that. Maybe he's worried about the hat becoming too much of an icon?

    Anyway, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your choices for his favorite albums. I'd have to list The Hour of Bewilderbeast first, followed by 1+1=1. But they are all amazing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 PM, February 06, 2006  

  • I don't have 1+1=1 and haven't listened to any of it. Bewilderbeast is lovely, but there are too many songs that seem way "out there" and I don't enjoy listening to them all the time. Another factor in my favorites could be the memories associated with them. I missed seeing him in concert two years ago and was really disappointed. He hasn't been back to UT since.

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 11:18 PM, February 06, 2006  

  • 21 is NOT an old maid! Trust me on this one, sweetheart.

    Now, whar's ma cane?

    ;)

    (I'm ten years your senior.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 AM, May 09, 2006  

  • I agree with Blogchik and Peri

    You are totally cute and 21 is way too early to worry about marriage. There's a bad old line about "bring em young" and I guess that applies to the altar.
    I got married at 21 and it was just too young. You can't even know yourself at that age. I worked really hard to help my wife discover herself. She was young and from a small town and conservative family and it was the late 60's when many women were struggling with what it meant to be a woman and how to express it. In filling the roles of husband and father from that early age, I kind of ignored my individual self.

    Relax and enjoy your life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:06 PM, May 30, 2006  

  • Was surfing the net loking for some jackson hole ski resort and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 PM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home