Sarah's Thoughts

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Driving


My first driving experience was pretty traumatic. On a Sunday afternoon when I was 15 my dad decided to take me to the church parking lot for a driving lesson. We took his car because it was smaller (yes, I did say was.) I started off doing alright. I could turn it on, I remembered to put on my seatbelt, and I looked all around before pulling forward. The problems started, and ended, when I tried turning. I hit the curb. Not very hard, how could I? I was only going 5 mph. But that wasn't all. When I hit the curb I blew the tire. My dad was furious!!! He was still in his suit, I was wearing a dress, and now we had to change the tire. I started to cry. I was a failure! I would never learn to drive! We got out of the car and he started barking directions at me. He was really, really, really upset. He was still yelling when to my joy someone came out of the church and he had to stop yelling at me. He told me very tersely to go inside and call my mom to come and get me while he and this other man put the spare tire on. My mom picked me up and drove me and my tears home. My dad had an appointment the next day in a city about an hour away. He took the car in to get a new tire in the morning and the repairman said that it was a good thing I had hit that curb or he could have had an accident on his trip that day. Those tires were threadbare and just waiting to give out. He replaced all four of the tires that day, didn't have an accident, and didn't die. I say I'm responsible for his living through that day, even if I was afraid to go driving with him again. It still makes me kind of nervous.
That's my car, pictured, or almost, I have the same car as that anyway, white 2002 Corolla.
Update: I said was in relation to my dad's car because it was destroyed in Dec '05, I had nothing to do with it, I promise!
Also, please feel free to share your stories, as always. I love to hear what you guys have to say!! }i{

3 Comments:

  • i almost ran over the instructor on the first day of driver's ed.,after that things got worse...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM, April 06, 2006  

  • We lived in the city when I was in high school and we didn't even have a car! I didn't get a drivers licence until I was 25.

    Hoo boy, my daughter's 14. In 14 short months it'll be my turn to teach my child how to drive. Emily's a great kid but I know I'll be a bundle of nerves.

    Thanks for reminding me to keep my cool. I'll be so stressed out that it'll be hard but I'll try!

    BTW, I suspect your father freaked out from stress, not because you did anything wrong (which of course, you proved you didn't!). Now that I'm a parent I can see both sides.

    It's so good to talk to teens and kids. It keeps me in touch with how I thought and felt as a kid/teen!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 4:08 PM, April 07, 2006  

  • Sarah, after what the guy told him about the condition of the tires I certainly think your dad owed you an apology.

    Learning to drive: my mother was terrible as a teacher ("you're too close on the right!" - but then she still does that 30+ years later) but my father was cool and calm, at least with me.

    I learned in a quiet area near my high school. The first time we were going to go on the parkway he saw there was too much traffic and had me stop on the entrance ramp and got behind the wheel.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM, May 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home