Sarah's Thoughts

Monday, April 10, 2006

Very . . . um . . .


This is the perfume I use every day. It smells better than any other perfume I've smelled. I'm on my third bottle in 18 months. The only problem is that I'm embarrassed to say its name. People are always telling me that I smell good (right after I've sprayed it) and then asking me what scent it is. I always say it's Victoria's Secret, hoping they'll leave it at that, but all too often they follow it up with, "Which one?" I am forced to choke out the words. "Very Sexy" I timidly whisper. "The original one, not the pink one," I clarify. The pink one is not nearly as lovely (isn't lovely a fun word?) as the red. I'm just not comfortable saying that "S" word. It makes me nervous, especially at BYU where such language is not heard all that often and people can take offense at many seemingly "mild" words. I don't say things like that, never have, and had a hard time reading a certain play aloud in English class in high school (Lysistrata, eep!)
(I couldn't find a picture online, so I took one of my bottle on the bookshelf where it lives, so, sorry it's a little blurry)

11 Comments:

  • i can't help noticing Candide and The Kite Runner (some people look at other people medicine cabinets, i look at their bookcases. it's an illness.)
    can't help you with the perfume problem, sorry. when someone comes out with a 'knock-off' version that smells like it, you could use the name of that perfume...except its name might be worse, from your point of view!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • I think insom set the record for fastest response to a new post on this blog. Not even an hour from first posting, and less than 30 min from publishing the final version! I feel so popular!!!

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 12:45 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • also, list of all books in the picture (r-l):
    Kite Runner
    Candide (love it:)
    No Doubt About it (by Sherri Dew)
    Anna Karenina (I liked it, it's behind the blue bottle so you can't really see it very well)
    Harry Potter 1 & 2 (3-5 are there too, but beyond the edge of the picure)
    and on the other side of Kite Runner is a book called Isaiah: Prophet to the nations about understanding Isiah through better understanding of customs/language/writings of his time.

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 12:55 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • how about this? just call it "VS" (like CK1 or whatever it is) if they don't know what it's really called ,you're in the clear. if they do and respect your wishes, ditto. if they know and want you to say it anyway, say something really disgusting like "It stands for 'Vaginal Secretions'".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:29 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • sorry if that last post was offensive...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • I keep scratching the monitor & leaning close to smell... doesn't seem to be working.
    Are you sure you uploaded the right picture? Maybe I need a special plug-in??

    By Blogger -j-, at 10:22 AM, April 13, 2006  

  • My favorite scent right now is philosophy's amazing grace. I love the name of it, and it smells really fresh and clean. It's more expensive than the Bath and Body Works stuff that I usually use, but it smells so good!

    Also, it's really easy to say amazing grace!

    By Blogger rita, at 7:31 AM, April 14, 2006  

  • You can't say Sexy in Utah? What if you have family members with that last name? What have the Sexys done to deserve this?

    By Blogger Alfred Haus, at 8:04 PM, April 14, 2006  

  • you can say it if you don't mind the dirty looks, and if you're not shy like me :)

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 8:07 PM, April 14, 2006  

  • Sexy is considered a dirty word in Utah? What's wrong with the word sexy?

    It's not like the perfume is called "Skank Hoochy" or "Getcher Coochie Here" or something. Or Crack Ho. It's not called Crack Ho.

    My point is: Lighten up, people!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 PM, May 07, 2006  

  • It's not that it's really a dirty word, it's just that it doesn't come up very often in conversation. Kind of a taboo topic for some, not all, and creates an uncomfortable feeling. I'm talking about other super-sheltered people like me, mostly.

    By Blogger Sarah J, at 4:25 PM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home